Adib Jalal is a designer and writer.
He is currently the Co-founder and Director of placemaking studio Shophouse & Co, a consultancy that helps developers, government agencies, and communities create lovable places for people to live, work, and play.
Adib has spent more than a decade of his career exploring how to make our cities great places for people to live in. He has worked on developing placemaking strategies for urban developments at various scales and contexts including cultural precincts, shopping belts, and the residential heartlands. As a practitioner of a people-centered process, Adib has also conceptualized and conducted stakeholder & public engagements involving different community segments, businesses, and government agencies. His work also extends to the curation of placemaking programmes and activations to create a shared experience of the city.
Previously, Adib served as the Festival Director of Archifest – a festival of ideas for the city – where he restructured it to appeal to a wider audience by introducing the Archifest Pavilion and a new curatorial approach. He has also had stints as an educator at various tertiary institutions, as a multi-disciplinary designer at award-winning design studio FARM; and as the Founding Editor of FIVEFOOTWAY, a blog about Asian cities which he co-founded in 2007.
Adib is currently a World Cities Summit Young Leader and recognised by PlacemakingX, a global network of urbanist leaders, as a Thought Leader. He is also currently serving on National Heritage Board’s Heritage Advisory Panel and actively lends his time to mentoring students and speaking engagements to advance the idea of a people-centered lovable city.
Contact: hello [at] adibjalal.com
- 2014 till Present :: Shophouse & Co, Co-founder & Director
- 2018 – 2019 :: LASALLE College of Arts, Adjunct Lecturer
- 2012 – 2014 :: Temasek Polytechnic Design School, Lecturer
- 2010 – 2015 :: Freelance designer & design writer
- 2007 – 2011 :: FARM, Senior Designer
- 2007 – 2014 :: FIVEFOOTWAY, Co-founder & Editor.
- Heritage Advisory Panel (By National Heritage Board, Singapore):: Panel member, 2020 – 2021.
- PlacemakingX (USA) :: Thought Leader, 2019 – present
- World Cities Summit (By Centre for Liveable Cities, Singapore) :: Young Leader, 2019-2020
- Trivelis Residents Committee :: Vice-Chairman, 2016 – 2020
- 2020 :: Creator & Producer of Podscape: Sounds & Stories of the city
- 2019 :: Field Research, Stakeholder Engagement & Development of Placemaking Masterplan for Somerset Belt Youth Precinct
- 2019 :: Stakeholder Engagement & Place Visioning for Geylang Serai Cultural Precinct
- 2019 :: Stakeholder Engagement & Strategic Recommendations for Pre-pilot BIDs by Heartland Enterprise Center Singapore
- 2018-2019 :: Stakeholder Engagement & Strategic Recommendations for Jalan Besar Town Council Masterplan
- 2018-2019 :: Curator of Our Gallery at Taman Jurong – a residential public art collection
- 2018 :: Stakeholder Engagement for Sentosa Masterplan
- 2018 :: Creator, Curator & Producer of The City Ramble – key program of Singapore Design Week
- 2016-2017 :: Stakeholder Engagement, Place Visioning, Strategic Recommendations, & Placemaking Activation of Funan Showsuite
- 2014-2017 :: Curator & Producer of Design Trails – key program of Singapore Design Week
- 2014-2017 :: Curator & Producer of Programmes at National Design Centre
- 2014 :: Creator, Curator & Producer of Transitional___, a transitional space activation
- 2012-2013 :: Festival Director & Producer of Archifest – a festival of ideas for the city
- 2007 – 2014 :: Creator & Editor of FIVEFOOTWAY
- 2007 :: Creator of Magical Spaces Project
- Panelist, Reviving and Revitalizing Cities and Spaces Through Arts and Culture by Culture Academy (MCCY), Singapore, November 2017
- Presenter, Placemaking Week 2017 by Project for Public Spaces, Amsterdam, October 2017
- Panelist, Smart Cities Innovation Awards by Le Monde, Singapore, June 2017
- Community Building Seminar by Housing Development Board, Singapore, May 2016
- Let’s Connect, Community Arts Speaker Series by National Arts Council, Singapore, March 2016
- TEDx Changi Airport Group, Singapore. January 2015
- Creative Mornings (Singapore), Topic: Urbanism. October 2013
- City Curator, Creative(c)ities, Kaohsiung Design Festival. 2013
- Pecha Kucha, World Architecture Festival. 2012
- Singapore Pavilion at Venice Architecture Biennale, Venice. September 2008
- Invited participant. “Cityscapers: By The Throat” by The British Council, Edinburgh. April 2008